Picaroon is temporarily closed for submissions until 16 September 2018 (when Issue #13 will be published). We are already half full for Issue #15 in March 2019, I (Kate) would like to spend time with my own crew of rogues (kids) over the summer, and get Maggie Mackay’s wonderful pamphlet The Heart of the Run published, too.
So, be ready to submit again in September! I’ll look forward to a full inbox again in a few months.
How to submit:
- Please send 1-3 of your unpublished poems to Kate Garrett at email@example.com. Send them in the body of an email, or a Word document – please do not send PDFs.
- Please, please check your work for typos and spelling mistakes.
- Please also include a short (no more than 100 words) third-person bio – as factual or funny as you like.
- Please NO simultaneous submissions. We have accepted them for over 2 years now, but they are beginning to cause problems lately – people do not withdraw their work, either from us, or from other magazines (on average this happens once every 1-2 weeks). I have four journals, five kids, and my patience has finally gone where this is concerned. I respond in 10-14 days max anyway, usually much faster (sometimes you will get a reply in 0-12 hours), so that isn’t a very long wait really.
- I don’t like to be strict with line limits, but I’d say if your poem is longer than 3 pages, you can try us, but we might not be the right place for it.
- There is no specific theme or poetic style. Just send me your gut-stabbing or tear-jerking or I-can’t-breathe-from-laughing words. If you need an idea of what we like, what you should send, check out our Rogues’ Gallery, and read back issues.
- I only ask for one-time rights – once your work has appeared in Picaroon Poetry, you can do what you want with it. But giving us a credit would be nice.
- I look forward to reading your work!